- 200g butter, softened
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g cornflour
- 200g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon, lime or orange zest or a mixture
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 pieces crystalised ginger, sliced
- Using an electric beater, cream the butter and the first measure of icing sugar for 5-8 minutes until pale and fluffy. Using a spoon or spatula, mix in the combined sifted cornflour and flour, lastly adding the citrus zest. Gently form into a soft dough log, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 165ºC. Divide the log in half – keep one chilled and carefully roll out the other between two sheets of baking paper, lightly dusted with flour to an even thickness of about ½ cm. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters and transfer to lined trays.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just starting to colour. Let cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining dough (or keep chilled for up to 2 weeks).